The Gynecologic Cancer Initiative (GCI) is now accepting abstracts for their annual trainee research day. The GCI Trainee Research Day is an annual event to showcase and celebrate trainees in British Columbia who are conducting research on gynecologic cancers.
This year, the event will be hosted as a hybrid event with an in-person venue located in Vancouver General Hospital. The event will feature trainee presentations, keynote presentations, various panel presentations and professional development sessions.
Date: June 13 and June 14, 2022
Location: In-person (Vancouver General Hospital) + Virtual
Time: To be confirmed
Call for Abstracts
All graduate trainees, undergraduate trainees, medical students, medical residents, clinical fellows and post-doctoral fellows conducting gynecologic cancer research are encouraged to submit an abstract. You can submit an abstract for one of two types of presentations:
- Trainee 3-Minute Rapid Fire Talks: Designed for new trainees who do not yet have results to share, these short presentations will facilitate feedback on your proposed study from faculty mentors and other trainees.
- Trainee 10-Minute Oral Platform Presentations: These longer oral presentations for trainees who have results to share from their research. The presentation will include a brief Q&A session. Only trainees in this category will be considered for the Presentation Prizes.
We will be presenting several Gynecologic Cancer Initiative Trainee Presentation Awards. These are several monetary awards for the top trainee presentations. Judges will be present at the research day to select the top presentation in each category. The categories include:
- Barbara Berthon Ovarian Cancer Presentation ($250)
- Best Gynecologic Cancer Prevention Presentation ($250)
- Best Gynecologic Cancer Diagnostics/Treatments Presentation ($250)
- Best Gynecologic Cancer Survivorship Presentation ($250)
- Best Gynecologic Cancer Health Equity Presentation ($250)
Abstract Submission Guidelines
- Abstract submissions must not contain no more than 400 words (not including the title and authors) and must not include figures, graphs or tables
- Structured abstracts for oral presentations should include: Title, Objectives(s), Study methods, Results, Conclusion(s)
- Structured abstracts for rapid fire presentations should include: Title, Background, Study Methods, Relevance
- Abstract should be single-spaced and typed in 12-point size Times New Roman font.
- Include authors’ names and affiliations immediately under the title with the presenter’s name underlined.
- Spell out in full the first mention of any abbreviations, followed by the abbreviation in parentheses.
- Do not include references in your abstract.
Abstract Submission Deadline
Nominations must be received by April 18, 2022 11:59 pm PST. Nominations should be submitted on the GCI abstract submission portal.
Barbara Berthon Ovarian Cancer Publication Prize
The Barbara Berthon Ovarian Cancer Publication Prize has been established through an endowment from Mr. Paul Berthon in memory of his wife, Barbara. The award will go to an M.D., Master’s or Ph.D student enrolled at the University of British Columbia who has demonstrated academic excellence in ovarian cancer research.
Monetary Award for Each Prize
One prize of $1,000 will be awarded annually to a trainee. The value of the prize will be re-evaluated every second year.
Eligibility Requirements & Criteria
To be considered for a prize, a nominee must be enrolled in an M.D., Master’s or Ph.D. program in any Department at the University of British Columbia and be the first author of an ovarian cancer paper published or in press between March 1, 2021 – February 28, 2022. Nominees must be nominated by their supervisor. Self-nominations will not be accepted.
Nominees will be evaluated according to their published work, and the significance of their discovery in advancing our understanding of ovarian cancer and/or impact on ovarian cancer control.
Nominations must be received by April 18, 2022 11:59 pm PST. Nominations should be submitted on the GCI submission portal.