Gynecologic Cancer Initiative Trainee Research Day
The Gynecologic Cancer Initiative Trainee Research Day is a virtual event to showcase and celebrate trainees in British Columbia who are conducting research on gynecologic cancers. This two half-day event, happening on June 3, 2021 and June 4, 2021 will also feature professional development and mentorship sessions. Trainees, researchers, physicians, and patient partners are all welcome to attend this virtual event. More details will be made available shortly.
Gynecologic Cancer Initiative Trainee Presentation Awards
Undergraduate trainees, graduate trainees, medical students, medical residents and post-doctoral fellows are encouraged to submit an abstract to present their research at the research day. If you have any questions or if you are unsure which category you belong in, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rapid Fire Presentation: These are short, rapid fire presentations for new trainees who do not yet have preliminary data to share. These presentations will be done in breakout rooms with faculty mentors and other trainees who can provide feedback on your proposed study.
- Oral Presentation: These are longer oral presentations for trainees who have data to share. These presentations will be done on the main virtual stage and will include a brief Q&A session. Only trainees who present in this category will be considered for the Presentation Prizes.
We will be presenting several monetary awards for the top trainee presentations. Judges will be present at the research day to select the top presentation in each category. The categories include:
- Barbara Berthon Ovarian Cancer Presentation ($250)
- Best Gynecologic Cancer Prevention Presentation ($250)
- Best Gynecologic Cancer Diagnostics/Treatments Presentation ($250)
- Best Gynecologic Cancer Survivorship Presentation ($250)
- Best Gynecologic Cancer Health Equity Presentation ($250)
Abstract Submission Guidelines
- Abstract submissions must not contain no more than 400 words (not including the title and authors) and must not have any graphs or table. Structured abstracts for oral presentations should include: Title, Objectives(s), Study methods, Results, Conclusion(s). Structured abstracts for rapid fire presentations should include: Title, Background, Study methods, Relevance.
- Abstract should be single-spaced and typed in 12-point size Times New Roman font.
- Include authors’ names and affiliations immediately under the title with the presenter’s name underlined.
- Spell out in full the first mention of any abbreviations, followed by the abbreviation in parentheses.
- Do not include references in your abstract.
- Submitted via Qualtrics in PDF format.
Abstracts must be received by April 16, 2021 11:59pm PST. Abstracts should be submitted on the GCI web portal (Gynecologic Cancer Initiative Trainee Presentation Awards). Please click the button below to access the web portal.
Barbara Berthon Ovarian Cancer Publication Prize (2020/21)
The Barbara Berthon Ovarian Cancer Publication Prize has been established through an endowment from Mr. Paul Berthon in memory of his wife, Barbara. The award will go to an M.D., Master’s or Ph.D student enrolled at the University of British Columbia who has demonstrated academic excellence in ovarian cancer research.
Monetary Award for Each Prize
One prize of $1,000 will be awarded annually to a trainee. The value of the prize will be re-evaluated every second year.
Eligibility Requirements & Criteria
To be considered for a prize, a nominee must be enrolled in an M.D., Master’s or Ph.D. program in any Department at the University of British Columbia and be the first author of an ovarian cancer paper published or in press between March 1, 2020 – February 28, 2021. Nominees must be nominated by their supervisor. Self-nominations will not be accepted.
Nominees will be evaluated according to their published work, and the significance of their discovery in advancing our understanding of ovarian cancer and/or impact on ovarian cancer control.
Nominations must be received by April 16, 2021 11:59 pm PST. Nominations should be submitted on the GCI web portal (Barbara Berthon Ovarian Cancer Publication Award). Please click the button below to access the web portal.
For questions related to this prize, please email email@example.com.