Carraresi Foundation Research Grants
2021 competition deadline: April 12, 2021, 11:59 pm PST
April 12, 2021, 11:59 pm PST
Please submit application materials as a single PDF document to the GCI/OVCARE electronic portal
Application and Information Sheet
OVCARE is pleased to launch another round of funding applications to support research on ovarian and other gynecologic cancers. The suggested application budget is $20,000 and are one time only (i.e. nonrenewable); application budget requests beyond $20,000 will be accepted but needs to reflect the actual needs of the proposed project. These grants are designed to support early and mid-career researchers, provide critical review, with rapid turn-around and constructive feedback, and funding for proposals that may not be eligible to receive funding at the national level. Examples would be clinical projects without a basic science component, projects for which there is a hypothesis but no preliminary data, smaller circumscribed projects that are self-limited and cannot be expanded into a 3 year CIHR-type proposal, etc. Preference will be given to projects that have the potential to become larger externally funded projects, but funding is also intended to support those projects that will provide a definitive answer, without the potential to directly lead to larger follow-up studies.
The total amount available for the current competition is approximately $80,000.
This small grant is open to all faculty members in OVCARE. Preference will be given to new faculty members (<5 years from first appointment). Fellows (post-doctoral or clinical) or residents are also encouraged to apply, with an appropriate designated faculty mentor. Investigators who have peer-reviewed funding at the national level or manage core facilities will not be eligible to apply for these funds as primary applicant (they can be a designated mentor) as the goal of this grant competition is to expand the participation in research within OVCARE and support the research aspirations of all members of the OVCARE community.
Conditions of Funding
Successful applicants will provide an update to the OVCARE executive after 6 months of receiving the funding and at the end of the project. Funding recipients are asked to acknowledge the support provided by the Carraresi Foundation and VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation, administered through OVCARE, in any communication or publication related to the project. Any funds left unspent after 2 years from the start of the grant are to be returned to OVCARE.
- Title of project
- Principal applicant (title, affiliations, email, phone)
- Co-applicants (title, affiliations, email, phone)
- Lay title and summary (max. 250 words)
- Research proposal. Must clearly outline the following: background, hypothesis, objectives/specific aims, preliminary data, methods, anticipated results and outcomes, and significance of the research. Four-page limit (including figures, tables, etc.). Additional one-page limit for reference bibliography. All documents must be in PDF. Use Times New Roman 12 point font. Spacing no more than six lines of type within a vertical inch. Page size no larger than 8.5 inches x 11.0 inches. Margins at least 0.5 inch in all directions.
- 1-page budget summary. Salary support for applicant is not an eligible expense.
- CVs. Principal and co-applicants; any format
- Publications. A maximum of 2 publications from the past five years relevant to this proposal can be appended.
Dr. Lynn Hoang
Improving the Detection of Vulvar Squamous Precancers
Dr. Amy Jamieson
Addressing the Most Aggressive Endometrial Cancers in a New Era of Molecular Classification
Real-world Management of Endometriosis: How Can We Prevent Endometriosis-associated cancers?